Q: How much soil will I need? A: To determine your soil needs, you can use our Soil Calculator, or you can call the office at 610-656-4436 where we can help you determine your soil needs.
Q: What is the best time of year to plant grass seed? A: Late summer to early fall is the optimal time to seed. Ideally, the seeding should be done between September 1 and October 15 for southeatern Pennsylvania. Seeding can also occur in the spring, but should be completed before April 1. Planting during these times allows the seed favorable weather conditions, and decreases the need for extra care, such as watering.
Q: How do I plant grass seed? A: This is a twelve step process
1. Test the soil being used to determine nutrient levels 2. Roughly grade the area to be seeded
3. Add screened topsoil to create a total soil depth of 4-6 inches
4. Add limestone if needed 5. Apply a basic fertilizer 6. Add organic matter, such as reed sedge peat or moss peat, if needed
7. Till the soil
8. Finish-grade by raking the area and lightly rolling it
9. Apply a starter fertilizer to the top inch of soil
10. Apply seed and lightly rake soil to cover seed
11. Lightly roll to compact soil around seeds
12. Spread straw or hay over the area to prevent erosion